We have begun our family adventure down here in Book of Mormon land! We left home last night after a long day at work and school and boarded the plane at 12:15 am (yes, we took the red eye!). Most of us were able to sleep the few hours to Atlanta and then we crashed on the airport benches for the three and a half hour layover. Well, grandpa didn't sleep. He walk/jogged around the airport and got his exercise in.
We arrived at Cancun International Airport at 11:30 and stood in long lines to get through customs. I am so glad my kids are big--yes, I just said that. I didn't have to take them potty or wipe their nose or listen to them wine about the the long boring line they had to wait in.
We rented two little cars since that was so much cheaper than renting one big car and I was elected to lead. I have never been in this postion and I was slightly terrified but I had done all the research and grandpa didn't bring his license so I needed to drive not navigate (which is my usual employ) so for the first time in my life I am leading the journey through our adventure. aaaH! I managed to get us out of the airport after circling three times and I got us to Costco without any altercations or backtracking. Keith said I must have had my Costco homing device in. We picked up 60 water bottle and some apples and ate yummy food from the food court - including the most amazing pina coladas ever! Then, with a prayer constantly running I led the way to Valladolid in the middle of the pennisula about 120 miles away.
I was feeling fabulous as I got us on the 180 and exited into the charming colonial town of Valladolid until I realized that google directions wanted me to turn the wrong way down a one way. Valladolid is one big mire of one-way streets and I wasn't feeling the charm any more when I became totally turned around. Thank the Lord that my daddy was in my car to keep me from a melt down. He used his excellent Spanish to ask a gas station attendant where our hostal was and we proceeded to follow those directions. Well, we missed the diagonal off-shoot the first time and had to navigate those %$@# one-ways to get back to that gas station and start over. We made it onto the narrow cobblestone street that time but we didn't see our place and soon I was leading our crew past that gas station AGAIN! This time I pulled into this cobbled patio area just after that narrow turn off and I started to panic. It was getting dark. We were way later than I had told the people we would be there and I didn't know what to do. Dad, just got out and walked up the street, determined to find the place. We sat in the cars and waited. A couple of minutes had gone by when a four-foot-nothing young man came up with a very stern look on his face spewing Spanish of which the only word I caught was "policia." He started gesturing to our cars when he saw our blank faces and we soon realized that we had parked in the wrong spot. I was looking forward to Policia coming so they could take me to a bed where I could sleep and eat so I said, "Yes, please go get the policia!" The little man gave me a look like I was from Mars and stalked off around the corner only to return thirty seconds later with a cart full of pastries which he proceed to tug into place between our cars. Seth and I started to giggle a bit as we realized that we were in his vending spot. I felt a bit bad. Then I felt tired and lost and Dad hadn't returned and the tears welled up and spilled over. Like a super hero Dad appeared walking quickly and giving me the "breathe-because-everything -is-fine" signal. He hopped in the car and said, "No worries I found it." Apparently he had to talk to about 5 people before he got real directions. Asking directions here is almost pointless because no matter who you ask they "know" exactly what you are talking about and are confident in giving you directions even though most of them are making it up. Anyway he went in and talked to the guy and he was expecting a party of 7 so he hurried back to collect us.
We are staying at Hostal de Fraile. Hostals are much cheaper than hotels. We are all in a tiny room with four sets of bunk beds. We actually have our own bathroom but the other rooms have to share a common bathroom. We unloaded our stuff and stripped our Utah wear off and got into shorts. It is much warmer here---yea! It is pretty muggy though since it has been raining. Anyway, we walked a couple of blocks to the town center and toured the cathedral which they have all lit up at night. We walked around then found the restaurant that Carlos (our host) suggested and we ate a most delicious dinner. After dinner we shopped around a bit then walked back to bed. We all took cold water showers (there was no other option so cold was good) and they are settled in bed. We have a big hiking around the ruins day planned for tomorrow. I have hired someone to lead us around so I am sure I am going to be much more relaxed. I really am so happy to be here with my sweet family. I will try to keep you posted throughout the trip.
Print this post
Thursday, November 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Thanks for posting Wendy! I am so excited to hear all about your amazing trip adventures. We have been thinking of you guys all day! Wish we were there with you all. Keep us posted and have sooo much fun.
Post a Comment